Self-striping Vacation Socks

I knit one sock while on vacation and then I finished the second one the week after I returned to Saint John. It’s just a basic sock pattern using KnitPicks self-striping Fellici merino sock yarn. I got most of the second sock done on the weekend of the 12th as mom came up for a “girls weekend” (consisting pretty much of knitting, window-shopping & watching chick flicks!)

Red On-hold Socks

I finally managed to finish these. They went up pretty quickly, even though I haven’t had too much time to work on them. I modified the pattern slightly to fit my skinny feet…

ON-hold Socks: Take 2

I‘d brought my partially finished socks in to show Trish at Cricket Cove and she offered to buy the yarn from me, and I would pick up a replacement skein. I found a great red Merino 2/6 by Fleece Artist and re-started the socks. I haven’t gotten much done though, due to large amounts of overtime, but I am back to regular work hours again so hopefully these won’t take too long to finish…

On-hold Socks – hrm

I thought I’d whip up a quick little pair of socks, as a bit of a break from my larger knitting projects. They are, however, taking a little more effort than I’d estimated…

“On-hold Socks” – the pattern is by Wendy D. Johnson and it’s from a book called “Socks from the Toe Up. I figured I’d make them two-at-a-time, and I thought I’d only wind up spending a few short evenings on them.

The pattern calls for 2mm needles (which a pretty tiny – the smallest you can get locally) and fingering-weight yarn. I thought it would be fun to knit this lovely “Somoko” by Fleece Artist (65% Merino, 20% Mohair, 10% Nylon,5% Silk) that I’d picked up at my LYS, Cricket Cove

on-hold socks

Except that it knits up a wee bit larger than the pattern calls for. This means that I had to back up and adjust the pattern. I backed up to the toe increases and did not add on the last set of 4 increases. It still seemed loose but I still thought they would be fairly wear-able.

Last night I spent the evening making the heels. I wasn’t sure how the pattern would knit up, so it was interesting to see the construction. I’d modified things to take into account my slightly smaller pattern. They looked all right, but by the time I finished and tried it on, I realized that I have rather narrow heels and I didn’t like the extra bulk and width that was there. This means that I will have to back out and put in a couple of decreases on each side before I re-do the heels. If I don’t fix them, I will never wear them.

As it is, I’m already questioning if I should finish them. I’m not terribly fond of the variegated pattern that the yarn makes. Its such an intense variegation that you cannot see any of the pattern that is knit into the top of the sock. Perhaps they really should just be frogged…