painting

Set Design for “A Christmas Carol”

In August, Scott Thomas asked if I’d help with the set design for “A Christmas Carol”.  He’s directing it for the Saint John Theatre Company and it will be performed at the Imperial Theatre November 17 – 19, 2011. He was looking for a set that  brought the story closer to the audience, and that could be used for both indoor and outdoor scenes. I know that there will be a few minor adjustments, but here is what I gave them to start with. The maquette is 1/2″ to 1′. I am looking forward to seeing the show!

Set Design Maquette for "A Christmas Carol" November 2011

Set Design Maquette for "A Christmas Carol" November 2011

Read More»

D&D Tiefling Warlock miniature

I‘ve been invited to play in another D&D group – they’ve been playing for a couple of years and were looking for a ranged striker. I created a fun character – a Tiefling Warlock named Trichinosis Carcenogina Hyacinth (although she prefers to be called Trixie). She was raised by Halflings so she seems oddly friendly and cutesy, but she’s got a temper and can deal out boatloads of (mostly fire-based) damage.

The group that I’m joining plays with minis, so I went on the hunt for one that would aptly represent my character. The illustratons in the official D&D books show some pretty cool rams horns:

but the mini’s that are available looked a little odd:

So I picked up the Arcane Heroes 2 package and took the main body of the female Eladrin Scorceror and the forearms of the male Half-elven Warlock, and glued them together, then added some Fimo horns and painted it all…

Another Marco Polo Set Piece

Thankfully I had some great help with set painting from Tim & Lynda & Sally & Sally’s boyfriend. We got the wails and wooden setpieces painted in a couple of evenings (in between rehearsals on the weekend), and then during rehearsal on Monday, I got the ship’s agent’s sign done. It’s been a busy week…

Marco Polo – The Musical: Set Concept Painting

I‘ve been working on this over the past couple of weeks and I’m so glad to be done. It includes one 3/4 sized ship that holds 80 chorus members, the NB Youth Orchestra, acting areas, some props, actors, projections on the sails, 2 large video screens, and indications of the audience. (All at Harbour Station on October 23rd, 2010!)

The Farm Character Board

A coworker’s cousin (who is a fan of character boards) was getting married on a farm and so I was asked to help create a farm-theme board that included their dogs, a sunflower, & their cows. I spent an evening sketching out the concept and then 4 evenings at my coworker’s place painting the plywood. After this, they finished it on their own by cutting out the faces and cropping the top. I’m please with how it turned out – I think it’s a great idea for a wedding, and the characters still make me giggle – they are so cheesy!

“I’d Rather Be Knitting” hand-painted T-shirt

Set Concept Painting

Sandra asked if I could do some sort of illustration to help the set painters, props folks, costume folks and cast have a better idea of how it’ll we’d like it to look. Thanks to Brian’s great layout (and fun sky-light concept), it was a great start…

Finished the O’Leary’s keg mural!

Woo-hoo! The photo is taken from the end of the front bar, looking up at it.

More Painting & Rehearsals

Yep – that was pretty much my weekend.

Friday after work I had Jay & Lisa over to hang out, and my landlord & another plumber to thaw my bathroom pipes. Glad Lisa enjoyed “Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day” – it’s such a cute film! Jay headed off to game and we continued to chill out and watch cute films. I desperately needed the mellow evening.

Saturday we had a rehearsal for Crimes, then I ran errands and did chores. By the time I stopped, it was late in the evening. Can’t wait to get back to my knitting. I’d love to get a large chunk of it done.

Sunday got up early, wiped out on hidden ice outside of my apartment and thankfully didn’t break anything. Spent 13.5 hours on scaffolding trying to get as much done on the mural as possible. Went home, took Advil, popped online for a few minutes to unwind and then hit the hay.

I hope to finish the mural tonight. It’ll be nice to have some more free time again. It’ll also be nice to get paid for the mural work. :-)

O’Leary’s pub mural #2 in progress.

 

Standing on my tiptoes, I can just reach the bottom level on the scaffolding. It’s a ways up there.

The mural itself is about 7.5 feet tall…