corset

Steampunk Costume: The Good Corset

It was akin to doing a logic puzzle. Brenda & I had made the necessary adjustments to the corset pattern and spent a good deal of time trying to fit all of the pieces onto the piece of coutil that we’d dyed. Once we got it cut out, it was time to start sewing things together. We put an order in to Farthingale’s for some spiral steel bones and a busk.

Dyeing the Coutil

Coutil is a heavy & very tightly woven cotton that is used for making corsets. It’s fairly expensive, so Brenda suggested that she had a piece that we could use. Unfortunately it was white, and that would not suit the Steampunk costume at all. We picked up some black fabris dye and wound up with a lovely warm brownish gray…

The Fit of The Corset

Well our mockup has been very handy. By making it and trying it on, we have realized that we need to really re-work some of the pattern. We’re going to make the waist area smaller, and we’ll need to increase the room and height in the bust cups.