Mirimachi 5kmx2

F or Canada Day long weekend (yes, I took Monday off) I did karaoke with Jay M Friday evening, then headed up to the Mirimachi early Saturday morning with Keith. We got to Colleen’s parent’s place for about 10:30 and hung out for a bit before heading to breakfast with the gang at the Rodd. We drove down to Sunny Corner and decided to go tubing even though it was only about 14 degrees out and the water was icy. Numbingly icy! At least the river was high and flowing fast, so we were only in the water for about an hour. On the way back to Colleen’s parent’s place, we picked up stuff to barbecue. It was a relaxing afternoon of sitting around and chatting and enjoying BBQ’d food. IT continued to cool off for the evening, so instead of having a bonfire, we opted to stay in and play Cranium. It was quite the passionate game of it. I think I had the most fun watching folks trying to sculpt things!

Sunday we slept in and then had a mid-afternoon group brunch at the Rodd. Keith and I popped in to visit his folks for a bit before heading back to SJ. By the time I got home, I was exhausted. That exhaustion lasted for a couple of days and other than managing to do a couple of errands on Monday, I just caught up on sleep. (Yes, I took Monday off.) Tuesday was rather quiet as well, catching up a bit with Doug and Colleen and then heading out to Scott & Alison’s for a BBQ. Of course, it was 14 and foggy in Saint John, but 25 and sunny once you got 5 minutes out of town. I came back to town early and then stopped down at the waterfront to catch The Tartan Terrors with Jay & Lisa M (and Doug and Colleen). Jay and Lisa have been fans of theirs for year – they used to perform at the Ontario Renaissance Festival, and they totally lived up to their hype.

Wednesday to Friday were incredibly busy days at work. I was thankful by the time the weekend rolled around again. I had signed up to run a race in the Mirimachi but was going to bail on that and go to Halifax instead. My dad was scheduled for a surgery on Thursday and I thought I’d go down and see my folks and help them out around the house. But his surgery got postponed, so I reverted to my original plans to head back up to the ‘Chi with Keith. We left mid-day on Saturday and stayed at his folks’ place. We got up bright and early Sunday morning and headed over to Newcastle to start the race. It was a hard one, and neither of us got personal bests. Up to that point, the warmest weather I’d run in was 17 degrees. It was about 28 degrees out. Just crazy. And it got even warmer after that! There was no shade and barely any breeze, and that made for some tough running. I managed to finish my 10 km route in 1:10:17, and that included a whole bunch of walk breaks in the second half. Oy. Talk about draining!

Mirimachi 10k

Holy Hannah it was HOT! No shade & I forgot my inhaler. Oy.

Keith and I cleaned up and packed up and stoppped for lunch at the Cunard (he had won a gift certificate as a door prize) and then headed back to saint John, It was 32 degrees out, and by the time I got back to uptown SJ, it was 18 (thanks to the coastal fog). We napped for about an hour and then Keith picked me up and we went to see Wanted, which was quite fun & entertaining.