All that work… the last two months have been pretty intensive as we worked to bring this musical to life. We’d never done such a large show, and at Harbour Station it was a technical feat. Thank goodness for having great teams of people working on it. Kudos to everyone who worked on it. It was tiring but worth it. A good learning experience, a great group of folks, and fantastic music (written by Mark Blagrave, composed by Richard Kidd, and brought to life by Antonio Delgatio and the New Brunswick Youth Orchestra, as well as the Saint John High School Choir and the Rothesay Netherwood Choir, and our cast of 32 SJTC folks, not to mention the huge crew of SJTC volunteers, as well as all of the technicians that worked with us to make this happen.)
Thankfully I had some great help with set painting from Tim & Lynda & Sally & Sally’s boyfriend. We got the wails and wooden setpieces painted in a couple of evenings (in between rehearsals on the weekend), and then during rehearsal on Monday, I got the ship’s agent’s sign done. It’s been a busy week…
I’d picked the yarn for this up when I was in NYC. It’s baby alpaca, so it’s nice & warm…
We needed a toy ship that could be featured in the show that looked as though a young girl from the 1880′s would play with it, but would also represent the Marco Polo clipper ship better than a sailboat. I found this display version of a Spanish Armada ship at a local used book store for $10, and I took it home and pried all f the plastic bits off, took it apart, sanded it down and then put it back together. That was my Thanksgiving Monday.
The Girasol pattern by Jared Flood was something I’d wanted to do for a long while, and it felt great to complete it. Grace and Hunter tried to claim it as soon asi I put it down to photograph it…