After teaching a knitting class, I rushed out (in the dark) to harvest the remainder of my plants from my Community Garden plot before our first heavy frost set in. I managed to get the oregano, lavender, and rosemary with their roots and I’ve replanted them into a small planter in the kitchen. I hope they survive!
Whew – why do I seem to forget how much work canning is? I really hope they turn out. This year I decided to try out Canadian Living’s recipe for spiced beets: http://www.canadianliving.com/food/pickled_beets.php
From the sink…
To mason jars…
I spent some time over the weekend weeding my garden plot (and the paths around it). I still have a few things that need harvesting. Unfortunately one of the things that I regularly stop in for has disappeared. Earlier this week, I popped by to get 5 leaves from each of my two basil plants (one green and one purple) and they had been dug up. Perfect holes with spade marks were left in their place. So frustrating – why would someone do that?
Anyway – the garden is looking better once again now that it’s been weeded…
Later this week, I got in to work to find this lovely container with basil and parsley at my desk, thanks to my co-worker Jane. What a thoughtful surprise! You totally rock, Jane! I’ve decided to keep it at the office so I can enjoy it’s smell. When I want a little bit of basil, I just take a few leaves home with me at the end of the work day.
This year I added some edging and mulch around my plot. The season was off to a late start due to our unsusally cold Spring.
It was a busy October. After the Marco Polo musical, I had to travel for work for a week. That was a successful trip (whew!) and I did get to visit some of my extended family on my dad’s side, whom I hadn’t seen in years – what a nice treat to see everyone doing so well! I got back and all I wanted to do was sleep. My first weekend home was a chance to clear out my garden plot, get groceries, and actually clean my apartment. Things I hadn’t had time for in weeks. Also, I’d twinged my lower back while set-painting, so it was the first time in a few weeks that I was actually able to do these things, let alone having the time to. It felt nice to be home, and it was great to spend time with my cats again.
I stopped in to spray my vegetables with a mixture of water, rubbing alcohol, and shavings of sunlight soap. I’m hoping this will help keep the beetles away from my radish leaves, they seem to love them so.
It’s nice to see that things are starting to come up. And it was a lovely surprise to see this little guy moseying along in my plot. Ladybugs are great for gardens!
So I’ve finally been able to get back out to my garden now that I’ve discovered a couple of free hours where it’s not pouring, and I have been slowly but surely doing the weeding. The radishes are up. I’ve harvested about 75% of them and will get the remainder later this week. Even though I had beetles eating the leaves, they still did quite well. The inset photo shows their state last Thursday and they were a lot larger when I harvested them yesterday. As you can see, I still have a lot of weeding to do…
The garden plot Summer 2009. Half-weeded.
I’ve been a slacker when it comes to updates and I will try my best to ammend that. My apologies.
Well most things are coming up. The chives aren’t. I’m going to take up Mare’s Mowm’s offer of transplanting some chives from her garden. No lavender yet – am tempted to buy one that’s already started. No parsley yet either. Also, one of my zucchini and one spaghetti squash plant is up. Not sure what happened to the other ones.
The radishes had holes and little black beetles all over the leaves. I mixed up 2 cups of water and 2 tbsp rubbing alcohol and about 1 tbsp equivaltent of shaved sunlight bar soap (pure soap) and sprayed my plants. I have yet to check on how they are doing.
Man, there’s a LOT of teeny weeds coming up…
I can’t tell you what I’m working on. It’s a gift for someone who occasionally reads this. And it’s turning out well, but there’s still a heck of a lot of work left to do on it. And I’ve gotten distracted with World of Warcraft. But then I did need a wee break as I was getting tired of it (the downside to big projects). Speaking of which, I really need to finish those paintings I started for Jay and Lisa as thier Christmas gifts….
Neat – I got a call last week from April Robinson, a reporter with the Telegraph Journal, to ask me some questions about my community garden plot, and the article is in today’s paper. It’s nice to have a momento of my latest hobby!
I wish I’d gotten a before picture. It took about 8 hours of work to dig up the grass and till in the compost on this 4′ x 25′ garden plot. Here it is, ready for planting…
I picked up some marigolds to plant around the edgers of my garden, and since I had the day off, I managed to get those and the veggies planted. It’s going to be a full little garden!
I’ve planted rosemary, chives, parsley, lavender, green beans, snap peas, carrots, radishes, beets, spanish onions, green onions, zucchini, spaghetti squash, lettuce and spinach.